Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Mailing Room - Canterbury

Name: The Mailing Room

206 Canterbury Rd (corner Maling Rd) Canterbury

Ph 03 9836 9889

Food: ModOz, Cafe,
Average price: 3.50 - $16

Complimentary:  Nothing.

We ordered:

Truffle eggs
18month aged cheddar, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomato, truffle oil - $15.50

Let's start with the good - the tomatoes were lovely as were around 60% of the eggs (the other 40% were too runny) and the few cubes of cheese. Now to the bad - the toast was so tough I struggled to get my knife through it and the mushrooms completely bland - the truffle oil was balanced but overall I left half of this on my plate.

Organic strawberry muesli, layered with fruit yoghurt, toasted muesli soaked in apple juice and seasonal fruit - $9

S was quite shocked when this came out as it was nothing like she imagined - she expected something akin to Bircher muesli, not kids cereal. The bright pink oat clumps covered some nuts and oats below and came with a saucer of milk. There was one dollop of plain yoghurt and a few slices of fruit - she ate the fruit and yoghurt and left the rest.

French toast with maple syrup and bacon - $12.40

K: When this first came out I was a tad disappointed. I like my breakfasts big when I eat out, and the bread look like thin all air pieces of nothing. I was wrong. This was the second best French toast I've ever had (this second best thing seems to be a trait for my mailing room experience). Most mouthfuls were scrumptious, some were divine. Perfect balance of thick hot oily eggy bread, salty pig and that sharp sweet of the syrup to slash it all open and let the deepest flavours come through. And yes.. there was enough food.

Decaf latte - $3.40

K: This was the second best decaf latte I've yet had. nice fern on top too, not overly impressive but presentation counts.

Cost: $41 for 3 breakfasts & 1 coffee.

Service: OK. The food came out pretty quickly, although separately, but when I ordered a sandwich to go the waitress somehow forgot to give the kitchen my order.

Atmosphere: Classic charm with a copious cacophony. The arched stained glass windows, high decorative ceilings and wooden floors are simply elegant and beautiful. The tables are well spaced and there are separate eating areas as well as some tables on the porch out the front. Unfortunately, its elegance is all forgotten one second after entering as your ears are accosted by the reverberating noise. The space was barely 50% full and yet we had to resort to yelling at each other to be heard, I'd hate to be in there at full capacity. The decor might be lovely, but the atmosphere is much too rambunctious for a leisurely breakfast.

Thanks to K for the steamy shot.
Parking: Good - there's a decent amount of street parking and two medium sized carparks just off Mailing Rd.

Website: http://www.malingroom.com.au/

Hours: Mon-Tue 7am-4pm
Wed-Fri 7am-11pm
Sat 8am-11pm
Sun 8am-4pm

Would I return: No - too noisy for a weekend breakfast.
K: I would eat there again, despite the noise levels being ridiculous for the few people inside. sexy tattooed waiters are always a welcome bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments however spam, abusive or personal attacks will be not be published. Please keep in mind that this blog is just the personal opinions and tastes of people paying for their own supper, it is by no means meant to be a professional review.