Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fenix - Richmond - review

Name: Fenix 
Address: 680-682 Victoria St
Richmond 3121 VIC

9427 8500

Food: ModOz, English
Average price: Entree: $19-$23, Mains: $35-$39, Dessert: $18

Complimentary: Slice of bread with olive oil.


We ordered:
Entree: Pork & pistachio terrine, Madeira & date jelly, shallot marmelade - $18
 

Mr.M enjoyed this.

Apple & fennel salad, beetroot jelly, elderflower dressing - $17


Classic flavours but I felt it was let down by the large amount of jelly. I am not a fan of jelly as I feel it weakens the flavour, and in this case, it didn't give me that earthy sweetness you expect from beetroot. It was ok, nice presentation, but not the most memorable dish I have had with this flavour combination.

Main: Crispy suckling pig with granny smith apples, braised fennel & crème fraiche - $48


Mr.M thought this was OK.

Stuffed sweet peppers with caponata, grilled haloumi & gremolata - $28


The rice was well cooked and I loved the addition of the salty haloumi. What was lacking was some sweetness from the peppers to balance the strong savoury and herb elements of the dish.

Dessert: Chocolate marquise with black figs, PX sherry & anise ice cream - $17


Mr.M really enjoyed this dish as did I. I loved the texture and deep chocolate of the marquis which went gorgeously with the syrupy figs and spiced ice cream. Whilst I enjoyed a touch of the bitter lemon peel, there was way too much on the plate and it completely overpowered the other components. With a touch less lemon it would be a stellar dish. I would definitely order it again.

Treacle tart with buffalo yoghurt ice cream - $15



Simple but lovely presentation. On its own I found the ice cream too strong in flavour for me (very grassy and animal-ish) but it was the perfect counter to the heavy sweetness of the tart. Whilst I liked the flavour and texture of the tart, it was quite rich and I couldn't finish the serve.

Cost: $143 for two entrees, two mains and two desserts.

Service: OK. Not bad but not particularly stand-out either, fairly minimal.

Atmosphere: Almost cafe-esque. The tables were spaced well apart and the chairs were quite casual and simple. There were some red accents in the room, as well as a fire place, but everything was quite sparse in design with the large windows and outdoor views being the main focus. Although there was a wedding upstairs, downstairs remained quite empty and therefore the vibe was a little low and lacking.


Parking: Ample - there is a decent amount of street parking and plenty over the road at Ikea.

Website:  www.fenix.com.au

Hours: Mon-Fri noon-3pm, 6pm-late
Sat 8.30am-noon, noon-3pm, 6pm-late
Sun 8.30am-noon, noon-4pm
Open for coffee daily from 8am

Would I return: Yes. 

Fenix on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. You're back! Yayy!

    I have still NOT been able to make it to fenix... something or other always comes up that I choose over.. but saying that... those desserts look good! And I love a good rich dessert!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments however spam, abusive or personal attacks will be not be published. Please keep in mind that this blog is just the personal opinions and tastes of people paying for their own supper, it is by no means meant to be a professional review.