Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Charcoal Lane - Fitzroy - review

Name: Charcoal Lane

Address: 136 Gertrude St
Fitzroy 3065 VIC
9418 3400

Food: ModOz
Average price: Entree: $15-$18, Mains: $29-$33, Dessert: $16-$32
Two-course lunch $35; three-course lunch $45

Complimentary:  Warm bread roll with butter.


Amuse bouche of ocean trout, salad & lemon myrtle

Mr.M thought this was OK.


We ordered:

Entrée: Bush tomato salad, fig jam, goats curd cigars, young thyme, black olive


I enjoyed most of this, except for the combination of fresh fig and tomato, that didn't quite work for me. Otherwise the tomatoes were flavoursome and the cigars lovely.

Yabbie, tomato fondue, angel hair, lemon myrtle, baby basil


This is not the kind of dish Mr.M normally chooses, ut everything was harmonious and went beautifully. He enjoyed it.

Main: Kangaroo, broccoli puree, black trumpete, truffle gnocchi, btter chocolate


Mr.M thought this was good, but found the kangaroo a touch chewy. Nice presentation.

Polenta, wild thyme, slow cooked organic egg, parmesan, corn


I didn't think this sounded rather appetising, but it was quite delicious. The polenta was incredibly soft and more akin to a pomme puree texture. The cheese was subtle but went well with the sweet corn and egg (I was told by the waiter that despite its undercooked appearance, due to the method it is cooked it is safe for pregnant women to eat). It also had asparagus and these gorgeous crunchy bits which were great.

Dessert: Apple, cream tart, muntries berries, raspberry terrine


This was not how I envisioned it to be (for starters, where is the apple??). The 'tart' was a tiny bit of filo-esque pastry with a completely liquid centre that tasted a bit like white chocolate. I think the sorbet was flavoured with muntries berries as it was a flavour I couldn't name, but one I enjoyed. I'm not sure where the apple was and the terrine wasn't very raspberry-like. It didn't have any real 'substantial' component so I felt quite unsatisfied when I finished.

Chocolate terrine, marquise, fondant, kaffir lime leaf, sour cherry sorbet



Mr.M thought this was very nice. I much prefered his dessert to mine. My absolute favourite component on this plate would have to be the marquise, I could eat that for days. I also loved the sour cherry sorbet. Great dessert dish overall.

Cost: $130 - for two entrees, two mains, and two desserts. 

Service: Great. Our waiter was excellent and enquired after each meal what we honestly thought of it. The food was a touch slow in coming out though.

Atmosphere: The room is quite plain, with some black accents and wooden furniture being the main decoration. There were some lovely black and white paintings on the roof otherwise the overall atmosphere was quite casual and simple; I was expecting more Indigenous Australian touches. The noise level was rather high.



Parking: There is decent street parking.

Website: http://www.charcoallane.com.au/

Hours: Tue-Sat noon-3pm, 6pm-10pm

Would I return: Yes. The friendly and informed service along with some great dishes warrants a return. The fact that this restaurant is also involved with Mission Australia is a bonus.


Charcoal Lane on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to come here since Taste of Melbourne.. haven't found the time.. but the pics and your thoughts are making me itch to go!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments however spam, abusive or personal attacks will be not be published. Please keep in mind that this blog is just the personal opinions and tastes of people paying for their own supper, it is by no means meant to be a professional review.